Some people can make a box of bicarbonate of soda last a very long time, especially if they’re not accustomed to baking cakes or using it to deodourize their fridge.
Then again, we have another very practical use for this multi-purpose and highly inexpensive product, and that’s to assist you in clearing blocked drains and in blocked drain prevention. And oh, what a little bicarbonate (baking soda) and vinegar can do for you.
Before we go any further, let’s all agree on one thing: the best cure for a blocked drain is prevention. No argument there, right? So now, let’s find out how baking soda can help you achieve that goal.
Baking soda, in combination with distilled white vinegar and boiling hot water is equally effective in blocked drain prevention and clearing. Here’s how to proceed for either application:
- Pour 2/3 of a cup of baking soda down your drain.
- Then mix in a half cup of white vinegar.
- Cover the drain with a lid and let that mixture settle, foam, and eat away at accumulated debris for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain to flush away any leftover residue.
Another way to prevent blocked sink drains is to be careful what you put down your drain. Here’s a list of substances very likely to cause problems:
- Grease and cooking oils
- Any sticky materials, like bandages
- Expandable foods like pasta and rice
- Baking flour
- Produce stickers
- Paint & cleaning products
Even with an abundance of care and caution, sooner or later you’re bound to experience a blocked drain or toilet problem. When you do, including now, Swan’s is here to lend all the assistance you need, including in-pipe video inspection, hydro-jetting for extra stubborn clogs, and more. Contact us now or anytime for service.