The sleek aesthetics and modern conveniences of a plumbed fridge can be incredibly appealing. But before you take the plunge and invest in this feature, it’s crucial to understand what it entails and whether it’s the right choice for your Perth home. Whether you’re about to embark on a plumbing renovation or are designing a new home, this guide will help you determine whether installing a plumbed fridge is right for you.
Need a plumber to help install a plumbed fridge? Don’t hesitate to call upon Swan’s Professional Plumbing!
What Is a plumbed fridge?
A plumbed fridge is a fridge that is connected to your home’s water supply. This allows it to dispense cold, filtered water and ice automatically, eliminating the need for refilling water containers and ice trays.
Guidelines for plumbing a fridge
Installing a plumbed fridge requires professional expertise from your local plumber. Here are some key considerations:
Your fridge will need a dedicated water line connected to your main water supply. This line should be made of copper or braided stainless steel for durability.
A water filter is essential to remove impurities and improve the taste and quality of the dispensed water and ice.
A drain is necessary to dispose of the accumulated water from the ice maker and defrosting cycles.
Your home’s floor plan matters for plumbing a fridge because it determines the accessibility of water sources and affects the ease of running water lines.
Pros and cons of plumbed fridges
You also need to consider whether plumbing a fridge is worth it to you. Still on the fence? Here are some advantages and drawbacks.
- Convenience: Enjoy access to filtered water and ice on demand.
- Hygiene: Eliminates the need for refilling water containers, reducing contamination risks.
- Sleek design: Offers a more streamlined appearance without visible water jugs or ice trays.
- Increased capacity: More space inside the fridge as you no longer need to store ice trays and water jugs.
- Cost: Higher initial purchase and installation price compared to non-plumbed models.
- Installation complexity: Requires professional plumbing expertise, adding to the overall cost.
- Maintenance: Regular filter changes and potential plumbing issues necessitate additional attention.
- Water usage: Plumbed fridges can increase your water consumption slightly.
Plumbed vs non-plumbed fridges
Here’s a table comparing the key aspects of plumbed and non-plumbed fridges.
|Yes – but needs to be refilled manually
|Yes – but needs to be refilled manually
|Complex – requires a plumber
|Simple – anyone can install it
|Sleek and more space-saving
|Can be bulky with additional water reservoirs
Deciding between plumbed and non-plumbed fridge
Choosing whether to plumb in a fridge or not is a personal decision that hinges on your specific needs and preferences. To make the most informed choice, carefully consider the following factors:
- Plumbed fridges: Generally, these come with a higher upfront cost due to the additional plumbing components and installation requirements.
- Non-plumbed fridges: These offer a more budget-friendly option, requiring minimal installation and no additional plumbing work.
- Plumbed fridges: If your tap water has a strong taste or contains impurities, a built-in filtration system in a plumbed fridge can significantly improve the taste and quality of your dispensed water and ice.
- Non-plumbed fridges: You’ll need to rely on manual water dispensers or bottled water, potentially leading to less space in your fridge which could be inconvenient.
- Plumbed fridges: Installation requires access to water and a drain. Ensure your kitchen layout can accommodate these additional components.
- Non-plumbed fridges: These offer greater flexibility in terms of placement, as they only require a standard power outlet.
- Plumbed fridges: Enjoy the convenience of automatic ice and filtered water dispensers, eliminating the need for manual refills.
- Non-plumbed fridges: These typically don’t have built-in dispensers and if they do, they need refilling manually.
- Plumbed fridges: Ideal for households who value convenience and a sleek, modern look.
- Non-plumbed fridges: A good choice for individuals on a budget or those who prefer a simpler setup and don’t mind manual refills.
Ultimately, the best choice depends on your individual priorities and circumstances. If convenience, a modern look, and filtered water and ice are essential, a plumbed fridge might be the perfect investment. However, if you’re on a tight budget or prefer a simpler setup, a non-plumbed fridge could be a more suitable option.
Need some advice tailored to your individual circumstances? Don’t hesitate to call Swan’s Professional Plumbing!
Plumbing for fridges always requires a plumbing professional
Want to know how to plumb a fridge yourself? It’s something best left to the pros.
Plumbing a fridge requires specialised expertise and carries inherent risks if you’re not qualified to carry out the work. It’s crucial to prioritise safety and entrust the installation to a licensed and qualified Perth plumber.
Here’s why entrusting a professional plumber is the best course of action
- Safety: Plumbing involves working with water supplies and electrical connections, which can be dangerous if not handled correctly. A professional plumber has the necessary skills and knowledge to perform the installation safely and adhere to all relevant regulations.
- Efficiency: Licensed plumbers have the experience and tools to complete the installation quickly and efficiently, minimising disruptions to your home and ensuring minimal downtime for your fridge.
- Warranty and insurance: Professional plumbers typically offer guarantees on their work, providing peace of mind and protection against any unforeseen issues arising after installation. Additionally, they are insured, so you can rest assured knowing that any accidents or damage will be covered.
- Peace of mind: By delegating this task to a qualified professional, you can relax and avoid the stress and potential complications of attempting it yourself.
Swan’s Professional Plumbing is here to help!
Our experienced and licensed plumbers can answer all your questions, assess your specific needs, and provide a comprehensive quote for installation. Let us help you enjoy the convenience and modern features of a plumbed fridge while ensuring a safe and professional installation. To organise a free quote, call us today on 1300 634 581 or book online.